Things I wish I Knew Before Starting College
Once you entered your senior year of high school everyone expects you to know what you want to do once you graduate and honestly most people don’t! I had this idea that I wanted to be a pastry chef and if you see my college transcripts you can see I survived a semester of culinary…
Once you entered your senior year of high school everyone expects you to know what you want to do once you graduate and honestly most people don’t!
I had this idea that I wanted to be a pastry chef and if you see my college transcripts you can see I survived a semester of culinary school(barely) I now know how to cut an onion without crying and peel a tomato, but I didn’t want to learn all of that I just wanted to learn pasties, so I changed my major…again.
So back to things I wish I knew.
- There is a school tailored to just about every interest you could think of weather it’s traditional college or vocational school. If you are 100% sure about your career path pick a school that caters to that. If you aren’t, many other schools cater to more than subject area.
- You can take general education classes until you decide. Electives and subjects like English are required for most degrees getting those out of the way first will help you to be more major focused by the end of your college experience.
- Some majors can be completed online. Check the school of your choice and ask the right questions. You might be able to afford paying for classes but not living in the college dorms.
- Start researching and applying for scholarships end of Jr. year and if you’ve already graduated and going back start researching and apply now. There are so many scholarships, but some don’t know where to start. All I can say is just start the worst they can say is sorry you are not a winner.
- Give yourself grace. College is hard no matter how you slice it. Don’t compare yourself to the next person just run your own race you’ve got this.
These are just a handful of things I wish I knew and have learned over the last 10 years. Be kind to yourself and know someone somewhere in the world is proud of you too.
I love this!! I honestly want to be an interior decorator and I don’t think that’ll ever change! Even though I got pregnant at 17 I still want to live out that dream! Just with 3 babies now!
I love this. I think the give yourself some grace part is seriously my favorite.
There are so many options when it comes to school. What I wish I would have known is that a degree wasn’t going to be my golden ticket to success, there are so many other things that can deter you.